[Announce] Linux Australia Sponsorship of NZ Python User Group

President president at linux.org.au
Sun Jan 7 13:32:08 AEDT 2024

Linux Australia (LA) and New Zealand Python User Group (NZPUG) are pleased to announce a sponsorship arrangement between the two organisations.

Linux Australia was approached by NZPUG for assistance as they deal with some challenges that have since been referred to the relevant authorities. We can not provide much detail regarding the challenge other than to say Linux Australia will assist in any way possible to help NZPUG during this difficult time.

NZPUG has a long history in supporting open technology in Aotearoa New Zealand and has significant overlap with Linux Australia’s community. The Linux Australia Council believes that our values align closely to NZPUG’s, both in terms of promoting and providing support to open source and open communities.

In the coming weeks, Linux Australia will work with NZPUG to bring the Kiwi Pycon conference under the auspices of Linux Australia as an LA subcommittee and to also assist with governance, auditing, accounting, and infrastructure. The sponsorship agreement will be in place for a period of 5 years to the value of $55,000NZD + GST.

“Linux Australia has a long history of supporting open technologies communities within Australia and New Zealand. Through this sponsorship agreement, we are confident that NZPUG will recover from their difficulties and continue to serve their community into the future. We are proud to be able to support such a like minded organisation.” *said Joel Addison - President, Linux Australia*

"The New Zealand Python User Group has been fostering and growing the Python and open source / free software community for fifteen years. This past year we faced an existential challenge, and we are beyond grateful to Linux Australia. With their support, we are able to recover and to continue our mission and purpose." *Tom Eastman - President, NZPUG*

Contact for more information:

Joel Addison

President, Linux Australia

E: _president at linux.org.au_

Tom Eastman

President, New Zealand Python User Group

E: _president at nzpug.org_

About Linux Australia

Linux Australia is the peak body for Open Source communities in Australia. Linux Australia represents approximately 5000 Australian users and developers of Free Software and Open Technologies, and facilitates internationally-renowned events including Everything Open — Australasia’s grassroots Free and Open Source Software Conference. Linux Australia exists to support like minded communities by acting as a legal entity to run communities and events focussed on free and open source software, hardware, technology and communities.

Linux Australia is voluntarily bound by the principles embodied by its statement of values and the articles of association, and undertakes to operate at all times in an open, transparent and democratic manner.

About New Zealand Python User Group

The New Zealand Python User Group aims to foster an inclusive community which invites diverse groups of people from all backgrounds, regardless of age, body size, race, gender, gender identity and expression, sexuality, disability, or religion to discuss and learn about all things Python in an environment of mutual respect, tolerance and encouragement.