[Announce] Advance notification of Linux Australia Council elections

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Tue Oct 17 12:01:46 AEDT 2017

Hi everyone,

This email is advance notification of the planned dates for Linux
Australia Council elections, to allow plenty of time for any of our
members who are considering nominating to investigate what's involved,
have a chat with current or previous Council members and contemplate
nominating for election.

In order to nominate, you MUST be a member of Linux Australia.

https://linux.org.au/membership/

*cue the flood of password reset emails*

We are aiming to open nominations Monday 27th November, closing
nominations on Sunday 24th December (Christmas Eve), opening voting on
Monday 25th December until Sunday 21 January, with the AGM on Monday
22nd January 2018 at LCA2018 in Sydney. The day between 21 and 22
January will be used for the Returning Officer to scrutineer the
election and results.

For transparency, Council has held private discussions around who will
likely stand for elections, so that succession planning and continuity
planning can occur. I thank the Council for their openness. At this
stage, at least 3 Council members will not be seeking re-election - for
reasons of privacy I won't disclose who.

Last year, a set of Position Descriptions, which outline the scope,
expectations, as well as benefits of the Council roles was produced by
long-standing Secretary, Sae Ra Germaine, so that you can have a better
understanding of what you're signing up for.

https://github.com/linuxaustralia/position-descriptions

Serving on Council is a challenging, yet rewarding, volunteer role that
provides exposure to board practices, governance and decision making and
provides an opportunity to do Good Things for the open source community
in Australia.

So, please do consider nominating and serving on Council - feel free to
reach out to myself or to past Council members for a confidential chat.

https://www.linux.org.au/council

Kind regards,

Kathy

--