[Announce] Linux Australia December update

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Thu Dec 7 17:55:31 AEDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Hoping that this note finds you and your loved ones well and safe,
despite whatever inclement weather your region has chosen to throw at
you. As we ease into the holiday season, I'd like to round off the year
with a quick update on our activities, and position us into the start of
the new year.

      linux.conf.au 22nd-26th January, Sydney

It will be awesome. If you haven't got your ticket already, and you're
planning to, please do - ticket sales have been strong and we don't want
you to miss out. Auckland 2015 sold out, Geelong 2016 sold out, Hobart
2017 sold out, Sydney will likely sell out. Yes, because it will be
awesome. The schedule <https://rego.linux.conf.au/schedule/main/> is
looking mighty fine, and Bruce, James and the team have pulled in some
high calibre keynotes indeed - including Karen Sandler, Jessie Frazelle
and Matthew Todd. Big ups too to event sponsors IBM (Penguin Sponsor),
Sol1 (Adelie Sponsor), and Discourse (Fairy Penguin Sponsor). If your
company hearts Linux as much as we do, then please do consider
sponsoring - sponsorship at lca2018.org.

Follow along on the Twitters @linuxconfau / #lca2018 or on the Book of
Face at

      DrupalSouth Auckland 2017 wraps up

Also in line for big ups are Nicole Kirsch, Pamela Clifford, Dave Sparks
and the team led by Sparks Interactive, who delivered another excellent
DrupalSouth recently in Auckland. If you'd like a recap, check out the
Storify <https://storify.com/linuxaustralia/drupalsouth-auckland-2017> I
made (yeah, I know, proprietary platform aggregating proprietary other
platforms...)

      Rebranding

We've almost finished rebranding work, very ably undertaken by Toby
Ansell. We just have some Brand Guidelines to finalise, then we'll share
with everyone. Yes, we've chosen what colour the bike shed will be.

      Elections

Are you awesome? Know someone who is? It's Australia, so we like, need
new leaders every five minutes or so, so now's your opportunity to put
up your hand to help lead Linux Australia. You don't even need to be a
British Citizen, or a Kiwi. Wait, no, the other thing. I jest. But in
all seriousness, our organisation is awesome because of the awesome
things that awesome people do. Put up your hand to be awesome, make new
professional connections, get bossed around by the Pres - ^H^H^H enjoy
growing your leadership skills, and above all, move open source in
Australia forward.

https://linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=24

      AGM and call for Agenda Items

Our AGM will be held at linux.conf.au in Sydney and a Call for Agenda
Items will go out shortly.

      Annual report and office bearer's reports

Our Auditors are currently auditing our accounts for the financial year
just gone, and these will be presented as part of the AGM in Sydney. We
will be delivering our Office Bearer's reports in Annual Report form.
Oooh shiny!

      Grants Programme

We'll shortly be requesting updates from all Grant Recipients regarding
their grant progress, and we'll include these in our annual report.

On a parting note, will 2018 be the Year of Linux on the Desktop?

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/2018-the-year-of-the-open-source-desktop-browser-and-office-suite/

Have a great holiday season, a great new year, and see you all in Sydney!

Kind regards,

Kathy

--
Kathy Reid