[Linux-aus] FPGA for RISC-V etc - want to apply for a grant?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jan 20 15:29:16 AEDT 2024

I think that FPGA development is very important for the future of computing,
both for developing new CPUs such as the RISC-V and for being a coprocessor.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006080116482.html
https://wiki.sipeed.com/hardware/en/tang/tang-mega-138k/mega-138k-pro.html

The Sipheed Mega is a high end FPGA designed for developing RISC-V which costs
$330 for the dev kit including delivery.  Above are the Aliexpress page for
buying and the Sipeed wiki page for it.  It has 138K LUT (a measure of how
complex the CPUs it can run).

https://etbe.coker.com.au/2024/01/18/licheepi-4a-risc-v-first-look/

I've just bought a RISC-V SBC from Sipheed and I regard them as a good
supplier.  The device is not perfect, but running versions of hardware,
software, and compilers that aren't at what is usually considered a full
release standard means that some problems are expected.  Basically everything
RISC-V at the moment is for developers only - which is why grants related to
it would be a good use of LA money.  I'm not saying that Sipheed is the best
choice (it might be - I lack relevant experience), I'm just saying that we can
expect their stuff to work and be usable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006224593018.html
https://wiki.sipeed.com/hardware/en/tang/index.html

The Sipheed Tang Primer has 20K LUT and costs $45 + $16 postage and can run a
low end RISC-V core.  1/4 of the price is postage so getting them in bulk will
save some money.

I think it would be a good use of LA money to fund a grant related to this.
NB I am NOT going to apply for such a grant, I'm busy enough already.  But if
such a grant was awarded I would work with the people who got it, I would help
them where I could and ask them for advice on occasion.

I think it would be ideal if we had a group of 8+ people using the Tang Primer
who could work together and share ideas and maybe a Tang Mega run by someone
who can put it online.