[Linux-aus] [Announce] Notice of Linux Australia 2024 Council Elections and AGM

Miles Goodhew linux at m0les.com
Mon Jan 8 01:05:08 AEDT 2024

Hi Kathy,
  Thanks for the questions, I feel you have some similar concerns to me about the future for Linux Australia (LA). I'll address each point separately:

PIPELINE CHALLENGES:
I think the LA council needs to spend more effort on fostering newer and younger members into being involved in LA and the conferences/subcommittees it sponsors. One of the ways I believe this can be encouraged is for the council to communicate in greater frequency and volume with the membership and to more actively encourage participation. This is the reason why I've emitted unsolicited reminders into the lists about LA council nominations and elections for the past couple of years. While I'm sure that every council has only ever acted in the best interests of the membership, long periods of radio silence in the past have caused frustration amongst the membership from time to time. I'd like to have the council give more regular updates about what's being worked-on, what's coming up and what's happening now.

I'd also like to see something like an outreach program (for school, university and businesses), but I must admit that I don't have any professional experience in this space. I'd hope that I could support someone more focused in this area.

HIRED HELP
I've occasionally wondered about having something like this. When I was a member of AUUG, Liz Egan did a great job as the group's (paid) business manager. Unfortunately every now and then there were complaints along the lines that "this was a waste of membership fees" or similar. I'm not sure that LA would be able to support a paid position (something like taking over the council secretary role) without introducing a membership fee to cover it. I think it would take quite some time to consult/interact with LA's membership about whether we could do this and how it could be done. That's not to say it shouldn't be considered, just that I wouldn't want it slammed-down as a single all-or-nothing voting item at an AGM. This sort-of ties-in with that "more communication" thing I raised in the first point: open a dialogue with the membership about the details and concerns with it.

STRATEGIC DIRECTION
I'll point back to the "be more communicative with the membership" thing again as one strategic improvement.
Other than that, one of the quandaries about "Linux Australia" is the "Linux" part. The Linux kernel is still great, but it's no-longer the up-and-coming technology that spawned CALU and LCA in the past. Linux is ubiquitous nowadays (e.g. my computer, phone, printer, router, TV and solar battery all run some kind of Linux kernel - and probably many other devices in the house). I still think things like the kernel miniconf at LCA are valuable parts of the conferences, but LA does so much more than "just" Linux any more (e.g. grants and other conferences like Pycon, Drupal, Wordpress etc). I think LA should further seek to host more "generic open source" software and technology conferences.

Anyway, I think I've waffled enough. Off the to polls with you!

Thanks again,

M0les.