[Linux-aus] council email problem

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sun Jan 7 21:45:26 AEDT 2024

Hi Folks

Just before Christmas we started migrating the Linux Australia mail
systems to Fastmail email hosting. As part of this we undertook thorough
testing to ensure the mail flow was operating exactly as we needed the
pre-migration, as well as future, mail flow to operate, and verified
that all aliases were delivering mail to their intended remote
destinations.

Since then, we've started experiencing issues with email delivery when
they pass through one part of the Fastmail systems, but only when mail
transits 2 specific servers that handle a particular part of the mail
flow. If mail passes through any of the other servers within the section
that provide this particular function, it will be successfully delivered.

We've been working with the Fastmail support team to try to pin down why
this is happening, and get a permanent fix in place, but at this point
we don't have an eta on when this will be. This error is impacting all
LA aliases, even aliases that go nowhere near other Linux Australia
servers (ie - personx at linux.org.au -> personx at personx.id.au).

We're continuing to work on this issue as a matter of priority.

Thanks as always to those who reached out directly via the LA Admin team
contact address, and publicly via the Linux Aus List, to provide advice,
information and feedback.

regards

Steve