[Linux-aus] Cheap VMs in Australia

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jan 6 14:59:21 AEDT 2024

What are good options for cheap VMs in Australia?  A friend needs something
small like 4G of RAM and 20G of storage for commercial use running a LAMP
stack.  The code to run is all PHP so ARM is fine.

I've had years of good experience with Linode (particularly since they
switched to SSD storage) and they have a DC in Sydney, $24/month for a VM with
4G of RAM and 80G of storage.

AWS is known to be solid, for reserved instances paid up front for a year a
t4g.medium (ARM VM with 4G of RAM) costs $218 per annum plus $19.20 per month
for storage.  AWS also has extra costs for IOPS to EBS storage and for data
transfer.  So seems likely to be more expensive than a straight $24/month fee
from Linode.

The Oracle Cloud has all this under the "Free tier".  But it likes to stop
free tier VMs that it conmsiders "unused" (inbound ssh connections multiple
times a day and ongoing jabber communication counts as "unused") once a year
and the management interface is one of the most painful things I've
encountered.  It's the first time I had to document how to login to a service.

Anything else to consider?