[Linux-aus] [Announce] Notice of Linux Australia 2024 Council Elections and AGM

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Thu Jan 4 04:59:58 AEDT 2024

To be honest, even if LA could afford to pay an entire suite of staff,
if it lacked the open* movers and shakers, it wouldn't really be the
Linux Australia that at least I knew or thought it was/is.

A staff could certainly help prevent burnout -- IMHO the AUUG lasted as
long as it did because it had a paid staff member so the volunteer board
didn't burn out /as fast/, but it did lose the grass roots members who,
incidentally, all went to L.A. which had more life at the time, and
obviously still does.

I would also comment that I don't think the lack of participation in
L.A. is just open* specific; although I now have a U.S. context (I'm
essentially an ex-pat Aussie in NYS, USA), all the organisations that
need a pipeline of next generation advocates, be they pet advocacy
groups, Churches, service groups (think Rotary/Lions, even Scouts), are
having a hard time finding it and we're all growing older!

/That's not to say L.A. /should do nothing about it - I just say that
because I don't think L.A.'s situation is because of a lack of desire,
will, earnest, and well-deserved effort. I think there's something else
going on :(

DSL

[1] Incidentally, a remnant of the AUUG still meets in South
Australia...but I digress...