[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Mitch Davis mjd at afork.com
Tue Jan 2 10:52:55 AEDT 2024

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 at 12:46, Russell Coker via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> We have an ongoing problem of system bloat.  Linux laptops with 8G of RAM
> but that sort of thing doesn't justify 80* more RAM.

There's no point trying to fix a resource use problem without knowing where
the problem is.  We have profilers because humans are notoriously bad at
guessing.

For auditing where time goes when booting a system, there's a tool
(actually, it's more of an ecosystem that's arisen) called bootchart that
shows all the processes that get run, when these processes get run, the
dependencies between them, and where CPU is being spent.

  https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/bootchart

Is there an equivalent tool which will show a break down of how memory has
been allocated on a running system?  Such a tool would show where the most
gains are to be made.

Mitch.