[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Tue Jan 2 15:46:37 AEDT 2024

On 2/1/24 12:10, jon.maddog.hall--- via linux-aus wrote:
 > Just focusing on the problem might help.  Without focus people will
not pay attention to the issue.

To be clear I wasn't arguing against the proposal. I was (perhaps badly)
trying to point out that the issue has a much broader impact. To me
those impacts are more important than the one Russell raised.

But it is true I find it hard to get excited about RAM usage when, in
what seems like a just a few years ago I was amazed PC's were zooming
through the 32 bit barrier, yet now I carry a battery power device with
64bits of address space, more connectivity, screen resolution, removable
storage than those PC's. Granted, today's problematic resource usage
can't be relied upon to disappear tomorrow forever I guess. But I'm
happy to delay worrying about it until it does happen.

What concerns me now is the library version proliferation thing I
mentioned earlier. And the thing that replaced a 3270 (the browser) is
so bloated, Debian with the resources of a 1000 developers can't
maintain it. And at the risk of starting a flame war, if I want to use
systemd as in init system (and you'll get no argument from me that isn't
a very fine init system), I am forced to compile 1.9 million lines of
intertwined code that isn't related.

These are problems created by my engineering discipline, and must be
solved by us. We just need the motivation to do it. It is going to need
a *lot* of motivation. Debian has almost religious level objection to
taking code thrown over the wall, but it was forced to do it with
Chromium and Firefox. I suspect it won't come from resource utilisation,
partially because there are already a lot of small, open source projects
dedicated to that role out there. The prime motivation of Alpine Linux
is just that.

What the motivation may come from is the other problems I mentioned.
Security in particular. There will be a lot of bugs lurking in the lines
of systemd you don't use, and for me that is most of the 1.9 million of
them. If that isn't motivation enough the EU New Product Liability
Directive [0] may do the trick.

I'm pretty sure it's near impossible to make these large
non-decomposable systems bug free, which in turn implies they can't be
made secure either. Unfortunately I'm also pretty sure them being
decomposable mega projects means debloating these systems in the way
Russell wants to is near mission impossible. (I'm sorry, but re-writing
sin and cos doesn't seem comparable.) But I also think the world at
large isn't going to give up on wanting software that works and can be
relied upon to not take down a fair chunk of a country's
telecommunications network. [1]

So, it's a rock hits a hard place. Perhaps the Queen Mary hits Norfolk
Island is a better metaphor, because these software projects are huge
and cornerstones of the current internet, so nothing is going to change
course quickly.

Personally, I'd give up on the Queen Mary entirely. Changing its course
is just too hard. I'd start with the smaller projects one person can fit
their head around, and build a system that suits your needs from them.
That seems doable.  Put the rest in a sandbox VM (if we can ever figure
out how to build such a thing), and put up with the resource usage until
we an replace it.

[0] From what I can tell, the EU New Product Liability Directive is
mostly about defanging software shrink wrap licences. They will not be
able to disclaim liability any more. You can't disclaim liability for a
toaster that electrocutes someone from a design flaw, so I don't know
why software has got away with the same thing for so long. The
implications for open source software is for a supplier to be liable you
have to have bought the toaster from them, and then the toaster must
have killed you. Kinda - you get the idea. Software killing someone who
downloaded it from a public repository without your knowledge doesn't
fit the bill no matter how much it may seem like it should. But the new
law still can impact open source developers. If for example you were a
log4j developer that earned money on the side by fixing bugs in it, then
the dollar amounts of damage done makes my eyes water and you maybe just
made yourself liable for it.  Once this passes, I wouldn’t do that sort
of thing without getting professional indemnity first.

[1] Granted, we all know that was more of an operations issue. But it
sure raised a lot of eyebrows, as in called before a senate committee
for a "please explain" type eyebrow raise. To the owners of those
eyebrows it's all just computers all the way down - don't give us any of
this finger pointing crap.