[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Nathan Bailey web at polynate.net
Mon Jan 1 17:17:14 AEDT 2024

I like this idea. In the early days of IT, optimisation for hardware seemed
a waste of time in the light of Moore's Law. But we continue to deploy to
smaller form factors (smart watches, smart rings, smart water bottles,
...), so I think there is merit in looking at RAM/disk/CPU-based
optimisations.

In terms of "wasted effort" - some IT-capable people aren't skilled or
experienced enough to tackle deeper IT problems, but "shallow"
optimisations like those suggested by Peter Moulding are the kinds of
solutions that interns, undergrads or even non-traditional IT people could
explore.

And winning a prize for successfully delivering a significant optimisation
could be a real differentiator for those looking to land a job (or
promotion), and a fun recognition for those just doing it as something on
the side.

Russell - how would you propose this being structured? (ie. who assesses
using what criteria in what timeframe?)
-N

PS: Also, nationally/internationally-selected prizes are a great way to get
press attention if developing a higher profile for LA/LCA is desirable...