[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Info info at petermoulding.com
Mon Jan 1 13:18:40 AEDT 2024

#1 recommendation. As tested on 2 GB Raspberry Pi 4.

Tackle Web browsers.

Use Firefox as an example. Installing NoScript reduces all overheads by heaps. Gone is most of the
spyware, trackware, and general junkware. Make Noscript style controls standard built in.

Firefox writes millions of little status updates to disk. The latest Firefox is unusable on a
microSD card as a result. Switching to an SSD makes it just usable. There is a setting to reduce
writes but it is hidden. Make it a standard click setting and the default for anything not running
from NVMe.

Ok, no need for $20. Buy me a coffee. They are almost $20 now. :-)

#2 Replacing some utilities with C or Rust versions would help. I use a C framework style library to
make the replacement easier.

#3 Take the junk out of GTK to make it perform. That would make many program upgrades easy.

My 16 GB machine easily handles a file cache for my 2 TB disks. Some of my 4 TB disks blow out the
cache. 64 GB would be nice.