[Linux-aus] building the community

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 29 05:00:56 AEST 2024

A good video.

One thing I typically say during a conference is to challenge people attending my talk to "Bring two windows users next year".  People laugh at this, but I am serious.

Remember the story of invention of the chess board.  One grain of rice on the first square, two on the second, four on the third....and by the time you get to the 64th square there are more grains of rice than in the entire world.

If all the people in FOSS today "brought two windows people" and they each brought two more windows people by the end of 10 years we would have world domination.

Now that I am not traveling as much I am re-starting our local user group.   I always included these parts of the meeting:

o welcome and agenda
o Newbie talk (one hour)
o Mingle time (along with questions on first talk)
o Advanced talk
o Questions and migrate to local watering hole

The meetings always started long enough after work that people could get there, but ended early enough (other than the watering hole) that people could get home.

I ran it for ten years (1995 to 2005) but traveling made continuing that post impractical.   Unfortunately the people that followed did not keep it up.

Now the technology has changed and the new user's group will be hybrid, with a live stream being saved on disk drives a million of time larger than the 10 MB Winchester drive on my first Unix workstation.....and only half as expensive.

The connection to my ISP is about 20000000 times faster than the 110 bps that I used to have.   It is really hard to type fast enough to make use of that extra capacity.

So we will be able to put the live stream online for people who miss the live meeting or people that join later.

So remember, you need to bring two windows users to your next meeting.   You do not have to whip them...just a cattle prod might be enough.

md