[Linux-aus] Inexpensive laptops

Info info at petermoulding.com
Thu Oct 26 09:24:09 AEDT 2023

On 25/10/23 22:07, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:

> Another option is to buy second hand.  Windows users generally aren't
> interested in systems with 8G of RAM but they run Linux nicely.

A read of popular Linux forums shows lots of converts to Linux because their machines could not run
Windows 10. The same is happening with Windows 11. Those old machines usually need only an old
rotating rust disk replaced with SSD, a much lower hit on the environment when compared to replacing
the whole machine.

And there are the thousands of corporate machines replaced to accommodate Windows. Some have the
disk removed and are sold ready for the SSD and Linux. Many go into a shredder for recovery of the
copper. :(

I used to buy a new router almost every year to get a new feature or because the plastic devices
break. Now I use a Raspberry Pi as I can simply upgrade the software or replace a wireless component
with the latest chip/antenna. The bulk of the hardware will remain the same forever.