[Linux-aus] ARM laptops

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Oct 23 21:47:57 AEDT 2023

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 16:30:43 AEDT Les Kitchen via linux-aus wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2023, at 23:54, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> > I could get some cheap ARM laptops from China if there is interest.  $120
> > each for laptops with FullHD screen and the same SoC as the PinePhonePro.
> >  It should be a quite OK laptop for low end use (web browsing, terminal,
> > word processing, etc) and it's also a good development platform for work
> > targetting the PinePhone series of devices and similar systems.
>
> Thanks for posting that.  Sorry for being slow responding.
>
> Do you have any more details about the specs of these devices,
> like cores, RAM, storage, ports?  And how they sit compared with
> the PinePhone Pro phone and the Pinebook Pro laptop (which uses
> pretty nearly the same SoC)?  Or links to where that information
> might be found?

I don't know because they aren't designed to be sold outside China and they
are only made to be sold as part of a bundled product.  Probably very much
like the PineBookPro.  When I first wrote about this I wasn't aware of Pine64
having a laptop with the same specs as the phone, $300 for a machine
guaranteed to work is in some ways a better option than $100 for something
with less confidence of it working.

Since the time I first wrote about it things changed a bit and the
possibilities for getting them cheaply decreased - probably other people did
the same as me.  So that decreases the value when compared to the PineBookPro.