[Linux-aus] GUI programming

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon May 22 21:39:05 AEST 2023

The Gambas feature set looks good, but when I tried running it on Debian/
Testing it aborted because it doesn't like Wayland.  But I got a quick
response to my bug report and installing gambas3-gb-gtk3-wayland fixed it,
I'll have to go back to test that.  Thanks for the suggestion Ashley and
Andrew Pam.

I tested out Lazarus, it seems pretty decent but it's a long way behind Visual
Age C++.  Pascal isn't my favourite language but it's a decent language that I
don't mind using.  At the moment it's in consideration.  Thanks Jason.

>From the web pages tkinter seems all about using functions to create GUI
controls, that's good for some things but not for what I want to do.  Thanks
for the suggestion Jason.

https://puri.sm/posts/my-first-year-of-librem-5-convergence/

My interest is in having Linux desktop systems and phones run in the same way
(see the above URL).  Support for iOS and Android isn't important to me in
this.

The comments about QT from Adamn Nielsen and Simon Lees are interesting, I had
previously excluded it for what I now think are bad reasons.  I'll try it out
tomorrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_OS

Progressive web apps are interesting for some things and apparently have been
tried on phones several times with Firefox OS being one of the most
noteworthy.  The fact that Firefox OS was abandoned might be considered
evidence that a "everything as PWA" strategy is bad, but the fact that it got
anywhere suggests that PWAs can be a useful part of a phone platform.  It
probably isn't the solution for my immediate problems but may be something to
use at a later time.  As an aside I don't like JavaScript at all.  Thanks for
the suggestion Adam Nielsen.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I haven't had time to go through them
all yet.  I'm averaging about half an hour per suggestion.