[Linux-aus] GUI programming

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun May 21 22:43:38 AEST 2023

What's the easiest way of doing GUI programming on Linux?  When I Google this
I get lots of results about Python programming, Python isn't a language I like
or want to learn but I wouldn't rule out using it for simple things if it is
much easier than other options.  I would prefer C/C++.

What I would ideally like is a system like IBM's VisualAge for C++ on Linux.
When using VisualAge C++ on OS/2 I could write a program that had all the
basic controls and basic operations on them (EG enter text into an entry field
and click a button to have it added to a listbox) without writing any code.
For writing a GUI front-end to a server I could design all the screens
graphically and then just write C code to copy data between entry fields and
API calls.  But I have the impression that no such thing exists for Linux.

I know it sounds horrible, but something like VisualBasic for Linux would
probably do.

What I want to do is move many of the things I do on my laptop to a phone and
that requires less use of the command-line.  So shell scripts need to be
replaced with GUI operations and ssh to run commands on a server needs to be
replaced by API use or parsing ssh output for GUI display.