[Linux-aus] cheap laptops

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:36:36 AEST 2023

I have a crapton of laptops. The 2 I use the most are a 13" Macbook Pro,
which I specced out to the max on everything except the disk (32GB ram, i7,
2TB SSD) on the last of the Intel  Mac laptops. The 2nd is a Acer
Chromebook 514, an ARM based unit with 8 cores and 8GB of memory. It has
the ability to run Android apps, plus a Linux subsystem, and is quite
useful. A lot of scientific instruments are controlled via Android apps (my
telescopes and microscope for example) and it's nice to be able to have a
decent sized screen and keyboard for that.

The other laptops range from el-cheapo laptops that were originally running
home Windows (2G ram, 32G SSD) which I've dropped Linux on to make it
useful, a GPD Pocket PC which has built in serial & ethernet, and fits in a
pock, a GPD Pocket 3, which has a lot of useful plugins (HDMI capture,
serial, ethernet), but as yet, doesn't do deep sleeping nicely under Linux,
and few of the other GPD units

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 at 12:34, Russell Coker via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/783814
>
> These look like good deals, laptops with 8G of RAM for $200 or less.  8G
> isn't
> good for Windows but is great for Linux, my personal laptop has 8G of RAM
> and
> works very nicely.
>
> Some of those laptops have USB-C which allows connecting to a dock to
> easily
> run with a big monitor (or multiple monitors) and the full range of
> desktop
> peripherals.  A USB-C dock with Ethernet, HDMI, and multiple USB ports
> starts
> at about $25 on ebay.  But if you want to run an older laptop that way you
> need to check the specs carefully, there were some laptops released with
> USB-C
> that didn't have Displayport/HDMI/Thunderbolt functionality in that port.
> haven't checked the specs carefully on those laptops, just briefly skimmed
> them to determine that some have USB-C and some don't.
>
> Also these prices while deemed a bargain by the ozbargain people probably
> aren't that far outside the general price range.  If you want something
> similar but slightly different you can probably find it on ebay or amazon.
>
> https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/01/desktop-computers-sense/
>
> As an aside I think that nowadays for most people desktop computers don't
> make
> sense.  Unless you do serious 3d gaming a laptop can probably do
> everything
> you need to do.
>
> --
> My Main Blog         http://etbe.coker.com.au/
> My Documents Blog    http://doc.coker.com.au/

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"