[Linux-aus] cheap laptops

NeilBrown neil at brown.name
Mon Jun 26 18:03:19 AEST 2023

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023, russell at coker.com.au wrote:

> As an aside I think that nowadays for most people desktop computers don't make
> sense.  Unless you do serious 3d gaming a laptop can probably do everything
> you need to do.

That's a rather ... strange comment.

I insist on a fanless laptop, so performance isn't amazing, but is
adequate for many things.  Doing a full compile of the Linux kernel is
not one of them.  It takes MUCH longer on my laptop than on my desktop
(which also has 4 times as many monitors as my laptop).

I think we are lots of individuals with lots of different use cases, and
fortunately the set of available hardware has many different
configurations, allowing us all to be reasonably satisfied.

NeilBrown