[Linux-aus] cheap laptops

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Mon Jun 26 15:34:07 AEST 2023

On 26/6/23 14:59, Steven Ellis via linux-aus wrote:
> I suppose it depends on your usage, but I wouldn't touch anything
> below 16GB for personal and 32GB for work these days. My web browser
> alone uses 16 GB on a regular basis.

On my laptop I run a browser, vscode, SQL DB's, web servers and the
other usual stuff that I forget.

     $ free -h
                    total        used        free      shared
buff/cache   available
     Mem:            15Gi       7.5Gi       1.3Gi       459Mi
6.6Gi       7.1Gi
     Swap:           15Gi          0B        15Gi

As you say it depends on what you are doing.   8GB would be fine for me
on typical days.  Occasionally I run a Windows VM and then 16GB isn't
enough without swap.  With swap I get by.

If you aren't spilling over into swap very occasionally, I'd say you've
spent too much on memory and using too much battery.