[Linux-aus] Security conferences (was: LUGs)

Info info at petermoulding.com
Sat Jul 8 09:06:15 AEST 2023

Thank you for the reference. AFR is one newspaper I have not read for a while. I might have to look
more often.

Stories like that are often better for informing friends and staff about phishing and similar. What
is missing is often the detail. SMH and other newspapers often mention phishing without explaining
it. On rare occasions, they point out an email has a wrong return address.

One of the reasons for converting people from proprietary email to open source is the display of
actual email addresses instead of just the name. I encourage people to check then report scams.

I think news.com.au and similar run articles on victims of phishing just for the shock value, not to
help anyone avoid phishing.

MFA works locally and people run into problems when they travel using cheaper local cards. Anyone
with serious access should use two telephone and reserve one for the calls back to the office.

If you use your telephone number, lose your telephone, then try to get a new telephone with the same
number, you can end up in an authentication loop. One friend hit that road block recently.

CACert was a great idea. I hoped that would lead to key authentication for Facebook and everything
instead of just the Musk Blue Tick.