[Linux-aus] LA Certification

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jul 3 19:52:09 AEST 2023

On Monday, 3 July 2023 11:28:16 AEST Simon Lees via linux-aus wrote:
> At the same time this is not uniquely an Australian issue and maybe its
> something that could equally be picked up by the enterprise linux
> distro's and there equivalents in other parts of open source.

Red Hat has the RHCE program which is quite successful and generally well
regarded.  I've taken the exam, I got 100% but it wasn't an easy 100% and I
watched someone who I knew to be quite competant fail it.  I think the RHCE
program is pretty important to Red Hat and they won't support anything that
could be a competing certification.

SUSE has their own certification, it appears to be outsourced and maybe less
important to them but I'm sure they still make money from it and don't want to
hurt it.

RHCE is really good for people who are doing only RHEL stuff and presumably
the SUSE certification is equally good for SLES stuff.  There is LPI for
certification of more general Linux skills not tied to a distribution, but
again it's tied to the corporate training model.

If someone is regarded as good at Linux stuff by people on this list I'll
forward their CV to my employer and tell tham that the person is good.  There
are probably some people on this list who quietly do good stuff and I don't
see what they are doing.  How many others would do the same?