[Linux-aus] FOSS related book club

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Dec 31 14:33:27 AEDT 2023

Some years ago we had a group read the book Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
and meet up to discuss it.  That went well and I think we should have more of
the same but with meeting/discussion over the Internet  which means no risk of
Covid (which is still a thing) and avoids geographic constraints.

My idea is to focus on near-future SciFi books that can correlate to free
software development that we do (like Little Brother) and books that are less
immediate but correspond to the big picture of why we support FOSS development
(apart from it being fun that is).  Also we can have meetings based around
multiple short stories or novelettes that are noteworthy.  My initial plan is
to run it as part of Flounder because the scope of Flounder encompasses that
sort of thing and because it's about virtual meetings.

I'm thinking of Cory Doctorow, George Orwell, Vernor Vinge, Ann Leckie, and
Ursula K. Le Guin as possible authors - or others who write with similar
perspectives.

I BCC'd Matt Cengia who chaired the Little Brother meeting in question.  Matt
you are welcome to chair such meetings if you have the time, you did a great
job at the Little Brother meeting.

https://doc.coker.com.au/fiction/free-short-stories/

The above page has links to short stories that I think are good, we could
discuss them at book club meetings and also people who aren't interested in
joining the club could just read them for fun.  I think most people here would
like those stories more than any anthology that they are likely to see in
their local library.