[Linux-aus] Ubuntu 20.04 resume time problem

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Jun 28 12:15:26 AEST 2022

I have a laptop that is dual boot Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows. I've configured it
for "RTC in local TZ" with timedatectl so it can have the same time as Windows
(I'm aware that I could change Windows via regedit to use UTC for the hwclock
but I'm trying to work out the best option for a corporate rollout).  The
problem is that I resume from suspend and the system immediately treats the
RTC as if it was in UTC thus being out by 10 hours (time zone +1000).

How does Ubuntu get the time from the RTC on resume? Any clues as to where to
look would be really appreciated. I've done Google searches and found nothing
helpful. Even if you just know which program does it that would help a lot, I
could read the source.

Before someone says "oh what about the time change at the start/end of DST",
for a laptop it's not a big deal as it will probably be in sleep mode then. As
timedatectl supports this feature I think it's not unreasonable to expect it
to work.