[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 23

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:55:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:09, Paul Gear <paul at libertysys.com.au> wrote:

> Just curious: how has the name damaged LA's ability to assist the python
> community?

As mentioned in the main thread, LA is the parent organisation for
PyCon Australia.  I'm organising PyCon Australia for LA in 2012 and
2013.

There are two issues that the LA name has had in my organisation of
the conference:

* The first is explaining the role of Linux Australia to potential
sponsors with respect to PyCon.  This includes training away the
preconception that their money is being used to support Linux and not
Python.
* The second is explaining the nature and focus of the conference to
delegates.  When they see "PyCon Australia, a Linux Australia
conference" (something we are required to do legally), an assumption
is made that it's a "Python on Linux" conference.  I've had to work to
convince some people to come by quashing this (not entirely
unreasonable) preconception.

I'm very strongly of the view that having a name that more broadly
encapsulated the view of LA's role with PyCon Australia would save me
a considerable amount of work.

You will note the number of replies I've made to this thread.  I
believe that the effort I've taken to write these replies will pay off
in droves in dealing with sponsors and delegates for our 2013
conference.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer