Re: [Linux-aus] MS&Novell

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 02:18:21PM +1030, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> 'This is a watershed moment for Linux. It fundamentally changes the
> rules of the game. We're really excited about this deal, and we hope
> you are too.'
> http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/openletter.html

    * Under the patent agreement, customers will receive coverage for
	* Mono, Samba, and OpenOffice as well as .NET and Windows Server.

	* All of these technologies will be improved upon during the 5 years of
	* the agreement and there are some limits on the coverage that would be
	* provided for future technologies added to these offerings.

Does this say "These technologies are safe for now, but if they get any
better, all bets are off"?

Hmm. I wonder if the only-non-paid-developers-are-safe provision is a
prelude to MS trying to shutdown Debian, now the release managers are
getting cash from Dunc-tank? Oh lord, what have we done??? And with a
release so close...

^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/