Re: [Linux-aus] Australian Digital Civil Rights Quiz

I'm not much of a stats buff, but I get the impression that the value of packages like R <URL:http://www.r-project.org/> (and SAS, SPSS, Matlab, etc.) is in the scripts/analyses built on top of the basic tool. In this case, it is quite possible that:
a) Proprietary tools lock in scripts to reduce portability (= lock in costs)
b) Proprietary tools require non-standard scripting language/approach (= lack of economies of scale in skills/knowledge)
c) Proprietary tools may have plug-ins that can't be ported to other tools

(a) and (c) are particularly relevant to DRM -- if I am not legally allowed to work out how to migrate my scripts, or a script set I bought, then my own IP is being restricted by the DRM.

(i.e. equivalent to MS Office proprietary formats not being allowed to be reverse engineered for portability [which isn't the case now, AFAIK, but was less clear in earlier days of their EULA])

re,

Janet Hawtin wrote:
Glen Turner wrote:

Hi Janet,

I'm not arguing against the substance of what you wrote.

<nit picking>

- statistical data modelling

Not a good example. I don't understand how Excel works, but I
know its stats functions are crap because there is an external
standard to test them against. Equally I know the functions in
SAS are brilliant.  Both are closed source.

There is a question about the rights inherent in a data model,
especially those used in public policy, but again that is an
important fight for others.

OK fair enough.
I suggested it after looking at the kinds of life/environment/economic/disaster modelling applications people are proposing for use to examine environmental impact, project safety and viability. If someone DRMs that software and public policy decisions are made based on it, I would expect it to conflict with public information rights that people have as to whether the information supporting a government decsion was well founded or balanced or even relevant. There is a risk that policy could be made based on modelling applications with nice bling and gui but with ineffective or customised information being output and no access to the logic.

Janet