Re: [Linux-aus] bigpond now uses proxy servers to spy on 'us'

Rohan M. wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I would like Telstra/Bigpond to please explain why in the last 48 hours or
so they have installed proxy servers on behalf of "akamai technologies"
which is now routing all of my http (web) traffic through these proxy
servers. I presume at very least all of Darwin's broadband traffic is also
routed through these proxies.

Bigpond (Cable at least) have had transparent proxies for years. Terrible at admitting they exist when trouble-shooting problems but they are there. Certainly Bigpond aren't the only carrier/provider to use them or Akamai - I am fairly sure PIPE, iinet, Internode and Netspace and a few other players have all installed Akamai cluster proxies a while back.

Additionally, there are a lot of other ways (usage meters for example) that Bigpond (and other providers) have been monitoring your traffic for years. I don't think there is an ISP in the country that doesn't in some way keep track of where you browse to.

To be honest unless you can prove the provider has in some way breached the Privacy Act through the use (and not just collection - check your contract - I think you'll find Bigpond is allowed to collect some information as part of service provision) of the data then there is little you can do to stop them.

Regards

James Turnbull

--
James Turnbull <james@lovedthanlost.net>