Re: [Linux-aus] Curse Microsoft - THEY JUST DON'T GET IT

David Lloyd wrote:
So why do I need to understand Windows to damn well do this?

you don't actually.
file says this about it:
$file XPS_085.exe
XPS_085.exe: PE executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit, ZIP self-extracting archive (WinZip)

and  $unzip XPS_085.exe
Archive:  XPS_085.exe
   creating: SampleDocs/
  inflating: XPS_085.doc
  inflating: XPS_085.xps
  inflating: Schemas/DiscardControl.xsd
  inflating: Schemas/S0schema.xsd
  inflating: Schemas/RDKey.xsd
  inflating: Schemas/DocStructure.xsd
  inflating: Schemas/SignatureDefinitions.xsd

Opening the 7mb word doc in Openoffice seems to take a while, - took about 10mins on my P4 3ghz machine with 1gb ram (ubuntu dapper).
it is 444 pages.

so you don't need windows, just unzip and wait for openoffice

dave