Re: [Linux-aus] Re: Utter tripe in CIO magazine

Dear Greg,

Yes it is FUD. Yes technical people would see it as lacking understanding. However the magazine is not aimed at people with technical understanding. It is aimed at people who typcially make business (read money) decisions.

The article gives a poor perception of linux. Reality never seems to matter in marketing. Perception is often the thing that determines and leads to reality in marketing.

The other important point is trust. People are much more likely to believe a negative inference about something than a positive one. This is human nature. For every negative inference people usually like 5 - 10 positive things to disprove the negative inference. This is true for magazine articles as well. People need to have a trust built up and that takes time and articles.

If we read something negative we like to see at least 3+ positive artciles before we think "Hey this could be good". This means that all those CIO's that rely on such magazines for technical direction (I would bet there are alot of them out there) will take the article at face value.

As an organisation and community we not only need to dispute such articles but also produce enough good and positive liturature to sway perception. That will then lead to real market changes.

Yours sincerely

David Ruwoldt