Re: [Linux-aus] Ubuntu Certification (was: lca2005 CD)

On 5 Apr 2006, at 14:42 , Steve Walsh wrote:

I reckon it'd be great if more distros supported, assisted and improved the
LPI effort. :-)

Yes.

And therein lies another problem. How can Distro's without SugarDaddy or
Company assistance improve the LPI effort. If you were to go to Gentoo,
Slackware, DSL or FreeBSD and say to them "Hi, in your copious free time,
can you guys work with us to write a certification test for your distro so
we can insert a testing into the LPI stream ASAP?", I can image the response
would be a resounding silence, followed by a some rather colourful language.
I know there are groups like the FreeBSD and the Gentoo foundation, but I'm
sure paying people to work for a long period of time to create the required
tests.

Gentoo (for one) write excellent documentation of other kinds. I don't see anything essential about certification tests that means they can only be written by company-backed distributions. (Pretty much every time someone says "intellectual product $foo can only be produced by a corporation" they're eventually proved wrong.)

I don't know if just giving the test material to LPI would be enough for them to start using it.

Perhaps the cause is this: employers who care about certification also tend to like company-backed distributions?

--
Martin