Re: [LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

Anthony Towns wrote:
Michael Still wrote:

Maybe we should try a user conference that caters variously to all the sorts of people we can think of, then get feedback on how to do it right next time -- more as a deliberate experiment, than a first actual run?

Ok, I think that's implicit in anything like this though. If LCA 2005 tried something and it flopped, then we'd drop it in the future too.

Yeah, all good things are experiments in that sense. I'm thinking more that rather than trying some particular idea ("let's do LCA-lite" or "let's do a tradeshow") we might want to try deliberately doing bits of all of them then choosing a focus once we see what works.

Sure. So, we need a plan that can have a small trade show (for instance), need to ask for expressions of interest from vendors, but be able to back out if no such interest is present.

I think there is recognition out there that the formula isn't cast in stone for any of these events.

For comparison, while the formular for LCA gets major tweaks, the fundamental focus has been pretty consistent -- it's talks by top notch local and foreign developers for Linux hackers and friends.

Well, hey, it has only been a couple of weeks; and your proposal was so draft it had a request for "$xxx" :) There's not really much of a definite idea to have a consensus on yet.

That's cause the real figure is so big it would blow your mind!
Seriously, I wasn't 100% comfortable talking about my draft numbers on a public list.

committee@linux.org.au isn't a public list...

Yes, but I have been unclear on what to use committee@ for under the new, opener, regieme (which I like by the way).

I'll draft something over the next couple of days and send it in.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au