Re: [Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

Leon Brooks wrote:
On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:11, Michael Still wrote:

Anand Kumria wrote:

Note anything more than $0 is too much.

Perhaps. How do you fund an event without having any money though?

Sponsors. But I think $0 would be a mistake. If you just wanted as many people as possible, sure, but attendees won't take it seriously if it's free. Maybe $50 a day, $20 a day for concessions as a floor?

Which is what I originally proposed. I'm not confident of sponsors though -- surely they like proven events. I think it's sensible to build the event based on little / no sponsorship, and then be pleasantly surprised when wrong...

Actually there are now people in all cities of Australia who know
how to run an LCA-style event.  There are people in all cities of
Australia who know how to run a LUG-style event.

Yes. None of them have made a proposal for such an event though. If
one of them would like to do so, then that would be fine.

PLUG is getting fairly excited about the idea. I'll get a new list made for the purpose and see if anything eventuates.

If you would like to, that would be nice.

LCA caters, to a degree, to introductory programmers.  Davyd
Madeley, for example, was exposed to Jeff Waugh at one of the
previous LCAs and now contributes regularly to GNOME.

Absolutely. I was more thinking of Windows-centric ISV / bespoke
programmers wanting to port their worlds to Linux / open source
however.

As was I. And businesses looking for a little low-risk training to reduce their fear of taking a leap of faith.

Yes. And people wanting to do the low risk training off their own bat.

Perhaps. The idea behind the proposal was that small is beautiful.
The event can get more complex over time. Compare the complexity of
LCA 2001 with that of LCA 2005.

The trombones, the marching girls, the fireworks, the airships... (-:

The audio, the international speakers, the several evening events, the RDP, the LPI exams, the BOFs, the wireless coverage, the 600 people.

(Not that I thought LCA 2001 was bad or anything, it's just that the event has grown over time.)

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au