[Linux-aus] Linux trademark notices

Hi LA and OSIAns,

There's been a bit of confusion about some emails sent out in the last
day or so by LA's legal counsel, Jeremy Malcolm. Jeremy sent out emails
to a number of Australian companies that provide products or services
related to Linux, asking them to provide information about their use of
the term "Linux" in relation to those products or services.

There'll be a bit of an update about this soon by someone more
knowledgeable than myself, but in the meantime the important thing to
know is that the email is part of the process that LMI (Linux Mark
Institute) has been undertaking to secure the trademark to the word
"Linux". LMI is acting on behalf of Linus Torvalds to establish and
protect the Linux trademark in various jurisdictions around the world,
and has enlisted the assistance of local organisations within those
jurisdictions to act as local representatives. Linux Australia has been
cooperating with LMI to assist with securing the trademark in Australia.

I realise that the message came out of the blue and has got some people
upset, and I apologise for that. However, it's an important part of the
process of securing the trademark so please take the time to go through
it and if you've got any questions you should feel free to follow up
with Jeremy.

Securing the trademark on behalf of LMI is an important step that will
prevent misuse of the word "Linux" in the future. The potentially
dangerous alternative is for a commercial organisation to secure the
trademark in Australia and start enforcing it in a draconian way,
preventing anyone else from using it at all or only at an exorbitant
fee. By securing it on behalf of LMI we can make sure the word "Linux"
can continue to be used in an appropriate way by vendors and the Linux
community in general.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer
President