Re: [Linux-aus] European Software Patents again?

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 05:02, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> I'm not sure how reliable this is, but if true, it's a touch worrying.
> Either way, some good links.
>
> http://www.teledyn.com/node/view/493
>
> Obviously there are a few logic jumps made in there, but nevertheless
> though we won a battle in the European software patents campaign, it is
> clearly far from over.

That's an old item (weeks).
As for winning a battle, I don't think so. The council ignored all
advice and indeed accepted a new proposal that's worse than the
original. That's not the final word, as there's more readings in the
parliament, AND the European parliamental elections are next week (I get
a vote, too! ;-)
The EU parliament actually has a good deal of power over any EU council
of ministers, but it's a very long process.

There may also be a referendum on a European constitution later in the
year. I haven't seen the text for that yet but it may contain
improvements on the current legislative structure that's not quite
optimal...

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Sydney 7 Jun 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?ref=marl