[Linux-aus] Re: Financial information in public committee minutes

Del del at babel.com.au
Wed Jun 16 18:41:05 UTC 2004

Michael Still wrote:
> Del wrote:
>
>>> Mark does give us a real detailed view on the current scenario to the
>>> ctte list, although this is largely unofficial due to the "this still
>>> has to go through" and "we're waiting for this to show up" bits of it.
>>> So, as for not making it all into the public minutes, it's probably due
>>> to these ambiguities and not wanting to put things down that were
>>> prepared as a status report and not as official financial documents.
>>

>> OK, well whatever.  I'm not that fussy.  I'd just be interested
>> in a rough ball park figure of what LA has coming in and going
>> out so that I have some confidence that we can afford to have
>> a $15K draw-down handed out to computerbank.
>
> It is the committee's opinion that we do have enough money for the
> ComputerBank line of credit, otherwise we wouldn't have recommended
> acceptance of the grant application.

That's a very good answer to a question that isn't the question
that I was asking.

I have a very small concern, after having a look at the difference
in members' liabilities between, say, an incorporated association,
and a company limited by guarantee, that individual members of LA
are potentially liable for a portion of the debts of the association
should the association itself be unable to pay those debts.  That's
on the understanding that I have that LA is an association incorporated
in NSW, and mostly concerns the members outside of NSW.  I may be
wrong in that understanding but that's what I read in the LA
documents last time I checked up.

Therefore I'd like the opportunity to be given for the members to
have the understanding that the association will be able to meet
whatever its debts may be, not just for the committee to have that
understanding.

If a full statement of accounts is planned to be forthcoming at
LCA next year, then I'm happy to wait for that.

--
Del