[Linux-aus] Giving Australians work with Open Source

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Jan 15 07:14:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:10:18AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Re: http://www.itnews.com.au/storycontent.asp?ID=10&Art_ID=17864
>
> > Legislation aimed at making open source software a preferred
> > option for government departments and agencies could have the
> > unintended effect of damaging the prospects of local IT
> > service providers.

It gets worse... :-(

Open source licences could damage Aust govt software collaboration
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20282661,00.htm

"A shift to open source development models could inadvertently limit the
prospects of Australian government agencies sharing locally developed
software, a legal expert has warned."

I was there and saw the presentation too; I certainly didn't get the vibe
that Gus reported on. I also spoke to Brian Fitzgerald about it the
following day and he was a tad flummoxed...