[Linux-aus] Fwd: A call for volunteer coders: urgent national e-vote project
leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jan 5 23:38:03 UTC 2004
Not often I forward spam, but here goes:
---------- Forward; originally to a spam-trap-ish address ----------
Subject: A call for volunteer coders: urgent national e-vote project
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:59
From: "Eric A. Smith" <snowdog at juno.ocn.ne.jp>
I'm writing today to ask for your help because I'm very, very
frightened. You've no doubt heard how unsafe evoting is:
Software switched between testing and elections:
Multiple victories by EXACTLY 18,811 votes -- in the same election, in
the same state, at the same time:
Felons secretly installing "updates" at the last minute before
Microsoft Access (!) used as the database -- often with an ingenious
password like (wait for it) "password"(!):
E-vote CEOs campaigning on a MASSIVE scale for candidates:
Politicians secretly owning companies counting THEIR OWN votes -- and
lying about it: http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0131-01.htm
E-vote CEOs donating huge amounts of money to candidates:
Diebold machines infected with worms:
ATM manufacturers switching to making e-vote machines -- but leaving
OUT paper receipts:
Companies secretly "updating" voting machines with uncertified software
on the eve of CA's recall election:
If you find these stories the least bit alarming, you can personally do
something about it today.
We are organizing a group of programmers to help provide an open-source
system for e-voting machines;
you are hereby invited to offer your skills and take part in changing
Stand up and fight for the vote.
Your country needs you.
Eric A. Smith
snowdog at ocn.ne.jp
Additional Officials you can phone, fax and email right now:
State elections boards:
State Attorneys General (party affiliations listed):
State Election Officials
Members, Natl. Assoc. of County Recorders, Election Officials and
Penelope Bonsall, national director of the
Office of Election Administration
Federal Election Commission
999 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20463
vss at fec.gov
(202) 694-1095 (phone)
(202) 219-8500 (fax)
Online e-petitions EFF and VerifiedVoting.org:
Alternative e-voting machines:
Did You Know:
* Diebold "disappeared" over 16,000 Presidential votes in one Florida
county during the 2,000 election?
* Diebold's primary business is making ATMs and ticket machines (which
DO provide paper printouts, unlike their voting machines!), has
already been infected with worm viruses:
* The Diebold "Accuvote" machine has been hacked and an election
reversed by author Bev Harris:
* Diebold's Board of Directors donated over a quarter of a milllion
dollars to Republican campaigns in the last six years?
* Sequoia machines use different software when being tested than when
being used in elections?
* Walden O'Dell, Diebold's CEO, is a Bush/Cheney Pioneer, and hosted a
$600,000 fundraiser for Cheney in 2003?
* O'Dell in an Ohio Republican fundraising letter, promised to "deliver
all of Ohio's votes to the President in 2004"?
* Senator Chuck Hagel secretly ran ES&S, the company that counted his
votes in a "stunning upset victory -- the biggest landslide in the
state's history? http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0131-01.htm
* Hagel lied to Congress about about his involvement in the company?
* Hagel has already bought the rights to the "HagelforPresident2008"
* Hagel's campaign manager, Michael McCarthy, is now a major owner of
* Before running ES&S, Hagel was head of the Private Sector Council for
George H.W. Bush?
Eric appears to be legitimate and has responded intelligently to his
http://cyberknights.com.au/ Modern tools; traditional dedication
http://plug.linux.org.au/ Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/ Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/ Committee Member, Linux Australia
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the linux-aus